Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Sunshine---My uncle always said, "He worries about a man who doesn't love a dog!"






Sunshine
Proverbs 19: 22
What is desirable in a person is loyalty…
New Oxford Annotated Bible

In December 2008, we put to sleep our old (nearly 15) but loyal Golden Retriever, Sunshine. We got Sunny when our daughter was 10 years old.  At that time Laura asked, “How long will Sunny Live?”  I promised she would see her graduate from college and Sunny did.

Sunny was technically Laura’s dog. Laura had a love/hate relationship with her. Sunny tormenting her by stealing her gloves on the cold winter days or jumping on her as Laura screened “Mommy get her off, I don’t like this dog!” but toward the end of Sunny’s life she was a constant comfort and loyal buddy particularly through Laura’s Kidney Cancer and recovery --- always by her side. Laura returned the favor to Sunny and was by her side when she was put to sleep. Laura loved that dog very much.

Of course my husband David thought Sunny was his dog. He was the one who fed her every morning and “rough housed” with her by playing tug -of- war, even to the end of her life. After a hard day in the business world she would greet him with a wagging tail eager for that long walk with him to ease the stress of the day.

 But I know that Sunny was my dog!  Our relationship was very special. I was the one who brushed her, talked to her, and even had to hunt her down when she escaped from the yard. Since I work from my home, she was always at my feet as I worked, always listening attentively to my ranting about my work or waiting for a gentle pat when my work was completed. On cold days she even kept my feet warm. She was a constant companion.

We all claimed a very personal relationship with Sunshine and she allowed it too. Her loyalty to each of us was never wavering. Something we could always count on.  Is this not the way we are with God?  We all claim a personal relationship with Him and God wants it that way too.  He comforts, relieves stress, listens to our rants and raves, celebrates with us and even allows us to work through a love/hate relationship with Him knowing in the end we will love him. He will be loyal to the end and He expects us to be too.  His Perfect Grace is offered to us continuously. Just as the Proverbs claim Loyalty makes a person attractive, it is fitting that God’s loyalty makes Him very attractive to us.

I will miss that old dog, Sunshine, but how wonderful that God gave us a creature that brought such loyalty and happiness to each of our lives.
TOTT
Dear God,
Thank you for your unconditional love and grace. Many times we don’t deserve it but Your Loyalty to us is a constant in our lives. Amen



Assignment for today: Defined a loyal person in your life and thank them for their trustworthiness. Of course if it is your dog, give him/her an extra part today


No comments:

Post a Comment