Saturday, March 29, 2014

The scriptures explain that no man (or woman) knows when the day of our death will happen.


The Man and the Ocean

No man has power to retain the spirit, or authority over the day of death…
Ecclesiastes 8:7
RSV
This is the reason we don’t give up.
Our human body is wearing out. But our spirits are getting stronger every day.
2 Corinthians 4:16
NLV

The ocean winds called to him every summer. So he packed his beautiful wife and his precious little girls into the ol’ Chevy and off they went to the beach. Oh, but it wasn’t just a vacation it was an adventure filled with historical site visits, practical jokes, games, sand castles, laughter and of course ice cream cones.  Life lessons were learned in the most inconspicuous ways.  The highlights of each day was the early morning beach walks to say “Hello” to the sun and ending the day with a trek to the top of Jockey Ridge Sand Dunes to bid the world a “Goodnight.” It was a serendipitous time filled with wonder and happiness for all.  Grievously the laughter fell silent; the practical jokes subsided; and the vacations ended as the man fell into terminal sleep at very early age. But the yearning for the ocean was deeply imbedded in the heart and soul of the living.

Ecclesiastes and 2 Corinthians speak to the power of death. The scriptures explain that no man (or woman) knows when the day of our death will happen.  Our human power cannot and will not reign over The Almighty’s Power. Even when a person is too young for death, the power of illness and sickness may weaken the worn out body but in Christ we are promise an everlasting life.  Within us, the Spirit will provide solace and understanding as we mourn.  The living will embrace the lessons taught and the love given--- those beliefs will live on.

And so it is with my father who passed away forty-five years ago on this date. The legend of this hard workingman lives on in his town, county, but most importantly among his family. A man whose God-given talents were embodied in his character and was an unpretentious leader practicing much wisdom, integrity and Faith in his everyday living. And oh my, how he loved the ocean and it saddens me that he will never know that I returned to the ocean to live my finals days. Then again, when I look up at the stars and one seems to blink, it just might be he sees my life at the beach and that is just fine with him. TOTT

 Dear Heavenly Father,
On this day I want to thank and  praise You for my father. Even though he was with me such a short time in my life, he taught great life lessons that have inspired me to follow You. Bless my family as we remember a wonderful father, husband and friend.

Commitment for Today: Remember to tell your father that you love him.


2 comments:

  1. I have never forgotten this day or the days that followed. My heart is always with "his girls." Your dad was a dear friend to me, and you are all previous to me as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Candy, truly inspiring! :)

    ReplyDelete