Monday, March 31, 2014

God gives us strength to pull ourselves out of the “pluff mud" in life. Dedicated to my sister and family as they pull themselves out of the devastation of their house fire.

                                          
                                                                    The Pluff Mud

                                   


                                                                         
        Psalm 40:1-2
RSV

I waited patiently for the Lord; he inclined to me and heard my cry. He drew me up from the desolate pit. Out of the miry bog and set my feet upon a rock, making my step secure.

Yep, there she went walking lickety-split right through the pluff mud. She had been warned by the locals not to do it, BUT oh no, she didn’t heed the warning.  At first she was only ankle deep in the silky muck but as she wiggled and tried to release her feet she just sank deeper to her knees. She cried out  “Please someone help me! I am sinking into the earth.”  Some suggested to leave her to teach her a lesson; others knew that the high tide was coming in and that offered new problems only leaving her to sink, sink sink…

Our Lord is there at all times to help us when we get stuck in so called in the “pluff mud of life.” He hears our cries in the middle of the night when no one else is there.  He understands our prayers when crisis abounds, He gives us strength to pull ourselves out of the “miry bog of life.” Our weakness is God’s Opportunity to demonstrate to us His Strength, Power and Redemption. He is our rock where we can firmly place our lives on solid ground. The Creator does not promise to always prevent crisis but the promise is He will always be there for guidance through our vulnerability and exposed wounds.

The muck releases her from its grip. Slowly she gathers her strength and leaves the oozy sediment just in the nick of time before the high tide roars in. Her boots---Well, the pluff mud will forever own
them.
Dear Lord,
Please be patient with me as I get stuck in the crises of life. I ask you to guide me and protect me from my vulnerability and expose wounds. Bless me on this day.
Amen

* Pluff mud is gooey mud found in marshy areas of the Lowcountry. It contains lots of organic matter and produces its own distinctive aroma. If you step in it up to your knees and pull out your foot, chances are the resulting sound will be similar to “pluff.”

Commitment for Today: Please pray for my sister and family as they try to rebuild their lives after the devastation of losing their home to a fire. Pray for someone who seems to be stuck in the “pluff mud of life" including yourself.          

No comments:

Post a Comment