Wednesday, March 5, 2014

As I enter the forty days of the Lenten Season, I will walk in the wilderness of life wrestling with my transgressions and facing the challenge of evolving into a more loving Christian.

clip art.jpg


The Serpent


Then Jesus was led by the Spirit into the desert to be tempted by the devil. After fasting forty days and forty nights he was hungry…Jesus said to him, “Away from me Satan! For it is written: Worship the Lord your God and serve him only.                                             
                                                               Matthew 4:1-11
        NIV Bible

Hanging way up in the old Water Oak Tree is a weird looking branch that sways much differently than the rest. Upon further examination, I realize it isn’t a branch at all; it is a snake---swaying side to side, rolling up and down, and looking very creepy.  His serpent-like motions were mesmerizing but at the same time they sent fear through my body that he just might drop on top of me. Just thinking about the possibility gives me the heebie-jeebies.  Oh how I hate snakes!  Not only because of their creepy-crawly nature but this devilish-looking creature is a symbolic personification of evil.

In Matthew 4: 1-11, the scripture speaks of Jesus spending forty days and forty nights in the wilderness. He prays and fasts causing him to become weak and famished. The Devil is aware of Jesus becoming feeble and begins to tempt him. The devil confronts Jesus demanding His proof of being the “Son of God.” The Devil did not doubt the divinity of Jesus but is tempting him to use his supernatural powers as the Savior of the World for his own good. Not once, but three times Satan demands the proof that Jesus was the Son Of Man. Jesus prevails over the Devil and the Evil One vanishes.  This scripture gives us insight to the realization of how as human beings we are in constant battle between good and evil in the world. The antithesis between the battle of righteousness and evil is an enormous challenge in our faith. The Devil may tempt us in our everyday life coercing us to follow a pathway of destruction and away from God. On the other side, God tests His followers to practice our faith and rejoice in the promise of ever-lasting life through Jesus Christ.

As I enter the forty days of the Lenten Season, I will walk in the desert of life wrestling with my transgressions and facing the challenge of evolving into a more loving Christian. It is my hope on the other side of 40 days and nights; I too, will be stronger and gain fortitude against evil by leaning on the teaching of Jesus. And just maybe, I will learn to value the hanging serpent in my tree. TOTT

Dear God of All,
I am lost; I am wandering hopelessly in the wilderness of life. Renew me and cleanse me during these forty days of Lent. Breathe new life in the Holy Spirit within me. I want to serve only YOU!
Amen.
Commitment for Today: What will you wrestle within your soul during the 40 days of Lent: Your Faith, your frailties, your weaknesses, or the battle between good and evil. The choice is your own.




No comments:

Post a Comment